Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Giving Advice on the Internet

I was never strident in my gun advice.  Well, not seriously.  I'd be strident in jest, for the larf.  Take the training wheels off.  Get a 1911.  Be a man.  That sort of thing.

My actual advice has always been generalized.  Steer folks away from cheaper makes to mainstream makers.  Tell them not to get married to a caliber.  Or a design.  Try a few.  Think on it.  Buy a decent holster for their eventual choice so it has a safe place to live inside the safe you bought before you chose.  Get ammo and training and practice.  Be safe always.  Lucky Strikes Means Fine Tobacco.

Simple stuff.  Common Sense stuff.  Very few compulsories in the routine. 

I am known as the gun guy that doesn't talk about it.  I talk plenty, but usually around other gun guys.  I don't advertise at non-gun functions like work and non blog social media, and I don't know how they find out I know anything, but now people seek me out.  ME.  The N00b.  I am not ready to snatch the pebble from the Master's hand, and thereby leave the monastery... but they ask anyway. 

If anything I am less strident now.  Heck I've been warning people... sorta... offa 1911s lately.  Unless they want to devote a lot of attention to their pistol.  Which is fun if that is what you want to do. 

No comments: