Thursday, January 9, 2020

Range 8 Jan 2020

Shook the cobwebs off.  Seven 17-round magazines of 9mm through a generic black plastic striker fired service pistol at 7 yards.

Here are the first one mag and two.



Ok, not bad.  Cold open.

The rest here, and you can see me getting tired as the head shots have a flinchy and the group spreads out a bit.  One off, and four I don't like.




What was I trying to accomplish?  Just competent, at a steady rate, plugging away, paying attention to trigger squeeze and follow through.  Good.  Another reason to seek out training.  To stretch my wings more and push the envelope out.  Challenge myself to get better.

I also have noticed that Tam usually uses a silhouette.  And just one, with a higher round count.  Her shooting is competent and confident enough to do that.  And she rarely has fliers or a spread like you see on mine.  I aspire to get more like that.  She doesn't need to shoot a single mag and analyze that as much as I tend to.  When she wants to critique her skills more closely I notice she puts in a 3 Dot Torture target up to play with.  But with a silhouette with two big ragged holes she can ask her self as she leaves how she shot and go, "Whelp 200 rounds and nothing off that center.  Not shabby."

Big ragged holes days are often work days when she is putting a gun through its paces for her work, and not putting her skill through their paces as a top priority.  Though, obviously, she doesn't flub that part either.   Different sessions, different purposes.

1 comment:

McChuck said...

Silhouette targets are perfect for building automatic reactions. They should alternate (3 to 1?) with point target shooting, so you don't get fixated on shooting the same sight pictures all the time.