Monday, October 29, 2007

.30 cal Single Shot Thots

Ok, ok, I chatted about this before, but fresh thoughts have come along about the eventual bolt-action hunting rifle I will one day get.

Well, actually, I'm trying to expand beyond mere bolt action. Something like the Winchester 88. Lever action, but shoots pointy bullets from a magazine instead of a tube. (you need a magazine, as a point bullet can set off the primer cap of the bullet in front of it in the tube, causing a situation of concern that scores about 12 on a the 1-10 scale of the "OHMYGAWRSHIMMAGONNADIE-O-Meter")Why that? Well it's good for lefties, now, isn't it? The lever action, I mean. Not the
OHMYGAWRSHIMMAGONNADIE-O-Meter.


MBtGE says, "You are bound and determined to have guns that will be hell to find parts for!" True. I am less worried about that. I like the old stuff and it is not like the old stuff wears out in one lifetime. I'm only going to use it one lifetime worth.

Well a Browning BLR might fill the same bill as a WInchester 88. But it's receiver is aluminum. Boo. Maybe an A-Bolt will do, when I get back on the bolt action path. Browning has better love for lefties, it seems. But I'd take a Browning BLR lever action in .308 or .30-06 if that receiver was steel. Steel would push me over the edge.

But it's hard to pick. Not from a large array of choices, but a dearth. But what alternative do I have, as a lefty? If there was a lefty Remington 700 ultra light (there is), that i could put iron sights AND a 6x-10x scope, that'd be my goal. But I need to know that iron sights are a possiblity. I think that might be possible, but confirmation would be nice. Consider this a bleg. Does anyone know if you can add something like Lyman Sights (gotta assume yes) to a bare bones Remington 700 or similar bolt action, and how much that'll cost me, (gotta assume...well I have no idea... actually)? I guess a company like this as a source: New England Custom Gun, but that doesn't answer my questions.

Plus $200 for trigger work.

Minimum $300 for scope from Leopold.

On top of $950 for a Remington 700 CDL in 30-06, VSF model is extra $200.

The peep-thru scope rings so I can use the iron sights and the scope without modification is a compromise in itself. The high rings make the scope a bit too high in profile, changing your shooting setup and where you put your cheek on the stock. I could get quick release rings, so I just snap the scope off lickity split like all the "sniper rifle in a briefcase" spy types do in the movies. But the Word on the Street is that it's hard to get really good quick release scope rings.

And now the New Winchester company is rebirthing the venerable Model 70 bolt action rifle. Reportedly suffering from quality issues, the really GOOD Model 70s are referred to as pre-1964. I'd be interested in seeing honest review of the new rifle, and if folks say as good as pre-1964, my ear will perk RIGHT up.

And HEY, speak of the devil... Browning, TOO, is coming out with a new bolt action model called the X-bolt. Both is and the Winchester have good out-of-the-box triggers according to initial reports, all because of the accutrigger Savage put out. Both of them intrigue me, and I have time to collect more reviews on them before, ahem... pulling the trigger on a purchase.

I don't like that Accutrigger. It just bugs me. I hope the new rifles have good conventional triggers..

No comments: