Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Dad found the Squirrel Gun

My Great Grandmother on my father's mother's side had a squirrel gun. It was a .22LR made by J. Stevens A & T Co., Chicopee Falls, Mass USA and has a patent date on it that reads: PAT APR 17 94.

The A & T stands for "Arms and Tool." The butt end plate says "Stevens Favorite."


The company made shotguns too. Pistols too, it seems. Revolvers to be more precise.


After WWI, the J Stevens company was bought out by Westinghouse and folded into Savage Arms.


This squirrel gun is a single shot and you work the trigger guard to open the breech just like the British had to do with a much bigger Martini Rifle when they wanted to pacify Zulus. Or try to pacify Zulus, as Zulus were quite able to take care of themselve on occasion.


This rifle is 12 year old kid size. Nice and compact. And it has a half octagon barrel. I only knew it as a decorative piece that set over our fireplace when I was a kid. Dad never shot it while I was around, and he says there was noticeable blowback when it was last shot, so... It's decoration or has to go to a gunsmith to double check if I ever am in the position to want to shoot it. If given to me, it'll go over my fireplace as decoration I'm sure.


What is it about the older people in my family? They sure like to put holes in offending rodents. Sounds like I have varminting in my blood. I may have to rethink my list if can ever get a good place to shoot varmints. Maybe a .17 caliber tack driver. Take THAT Ratatouille!


Hey look! They still make it:


No comments: