Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Mossberg Mags, and Gunstore Luvin'

My local gunstore had magazines for my Mossberg model 144 .22LR target rifle. Two, to be exact. Which is what I wanted. The online magazine sources, like Hoosier Gun Works, didn't have TOO many to choose from, so it is good that Potomac Traders had a couple spares. Their prices were in line with the online stores, too, with one little benefit... I could try the mags out before buying to be sure they fit my rifle. So hooray for the local gun store.

I've tested them out too, they feed and eject, when the bolt is worked, fine. Not super smooth, but so cranky to be disturbing.

These mags only hold 7 rounds. Dad said he had a magazine that held 10. I hope he finds the original magazine, as now I am curious.

Here's ANOTHER thing about the advantages to the local gun store. The guy that sold me my Reminton Model 11 came up and GAVE me a spare barrel. Free. And I WANTED a spare barrel, longer than the one I have. Talk about walking in with my lucky gunstore mojo. You know what? I already LIKED the store, but now I don't think I'll shop anywhere else. With that kind of magic you can't be untrue. At least on any first stop. If I decide someday I need a Ronco Thunderboomer chambered in Blurfle Ought 2, I'm checking at Potomac first. If they have one, I'm going home with it. A week later.

Another thing about Potomac Traders, or Trading... they have a long complicated name... and no website... BESIDES the .50 Heavy Machine Gun, and brass cannon pointed at you as you walk in, and the Norden Bombsight on a file cabinet, and a pretty cool selection of guns that matches my interest to a 'T'... they have a shop dog. The dog is chocolate brown and well mannered. She likes me, at any rate. But I've seen her snap at smart mouth punks trying to look tough at gun store. Me she seeks out and says "Hi" too. Part of it may be the vibe she picks up. The proprietors like me because I am polite and spend money. The dog may sense that. And I bet the proprietors are not fans of smart mouth punks that talk about sawing off shotguns to impress their friends. I bet the dog sensed that, too. Good dog.

I wonder if Potomac Trading, Traders whichever, ever catches on that they have an anonymous fan out here?

Ooo, back to the shotgun barrel. It's longer, like I needs, has a foresight that is a bead, good. That's the good news. The bad news is, someone tried to rifle it. Hmmmm. The sales guys was very up front about it. Caveat Emptor. And the price was right, as I mentioned. You can feel the grooves pushing through on the OUTSIDE of the barrels. Not that they pierced the metal skin of the barrel, but that the grooves were put in my some sort of hammering technique.

It might not be bad news. I need to check with a gunsmith or two to see what they think. A gunsmith may tell me, "Sure, that's what they used to back in the 40's. Perfectly legitimate and works great." or he may say, "Yeah, the gun is fine for shot, but never fire slugs through that barrel." or he may say, "OH MY GOD, Don't even THINK about shooting something through that! In fact, give it here so I can destroy that barrel with a hacksaw and end its suffering!" With my luck it'll be this last.

Then I'll be shopping for another 24" Remington Model 11 shotgun barrel.

Heh, if this barrel IS good, that means another gun is off the longer list. That leaves some version of the M1A, some version of a .45 ACP (1911 style, prolly), a smaller pistol or snubby (maybe one of each), a left handed bolt action rifle with a scope mounted, and that's it. For fun, a double barrel 12 gauge and a lever action chambered in .357, too. All just BARELY fitting in my gun cabinet, arse to elbow.
Anyhoo, here is the barrel:
:


No comments: