Friday, October 19, 2007

Range Issue

Ever notice, at the gun range, all the holes in the wall that are not where they are supposed to be? My favorite is the ones on the ceiling right about the station you are standing at. You know what I mean. Someone messed their drawers when they did that. Or they SHOULD have, for such a boneheaded negligent discharge.


And, ever notice how some ranges put down talc on the floor? MBtGE told that this was to show you if your rounds were bouncing off the floor because you had set your target low. It’s ok if your rounds do that, but it is BETTER if your line of fire goes right into the back stop. It’s easier on the range that way, and its often range policy/preference that you do it right. Just line up your paper target better, so the shot goes from you, to the target, to the backstop.


The automated target moving thingys at the NRA Range are COMPLICATED. I’m a slow-head and there are just too many settings and they don’t seem to work intuitively. I CAN get the target to eventually roll down range to where I want it, but… sheesh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear New Jovian Thunderbolt,

I do not know specifically about the NRA range, which I have never attended, even though I lived at one time in Fairfax County, but many other ranges offer classes for new shooters. This may explain the extra holes. I remember one time when my brother and I were shooting at a range. He is a .22 rifle guy. I offered him my 9mm pistol, without thinking about what might happen. After all, it has been 30 years since I shot a revolver for the first time, and I had forgotten what the experience was like. On his first shot, the recoil stunned him so badly, he nearly dropped the weapon. Of course, he wanted nothing more to do with it. I determined then that I needed some better pistol training skills.

Regards,

PolyKahr