Thursday, December 6, 2007

Master List Rethink

Well crap.

The whole "careful using .308 in a 7.62 without checking" worry has struck me. That the bullets are interchangeable, but not really, and that you should be careful about that, especially with that Garand I have, etc. etc.

If my Garand, as I suspect, should only be fed 7.62, all the spare ammo in .308 I've been shooting is a no-no. Danger Danger. And half my storeroom of ammo is useless for this gun, where I thought I was fine. So it ISN'T the very good general purpose rifle I thought it was.

So now I am thrown for a loop, if it is so selective in what it eat and what rifle I will want to go with it in the future.

Ok, I'm only talking about .30 cal rifles on the Master List. This doesn't impact pistol choice or .22... what have you. It breaks down to 4 REAL rifles.

The 7.62 Garand I have, and coming up... a bolt action LH Remington 700 10x scope type, a hunting type - like a carbine Winchester 88 lever action in .308, and a mag fed hard hitting carbine type like the M1A with a short barrel.

Or should I worry about that 7.62 Garand... make it a .30-06, get a .30-06 Reminghton 700, a Winchester Model 88 in .308, and a long barrel M1A.

Or get a second Garand in .30-06, forget the Remington, forget the M1A, or maybe get a sniper version of the M1A.

Dammit! Too many permutations. I felt better about the list when I thought that the Garand took both .308 and 7.62.


+===+===+===+

Ok, I checked with Fulton-Armory. I could get the .308 barrel for the Garand from them, if they can make it in tolerances that cover both ammo types. (I'm sure they do, but will confirm) I can get an upgraded chrome lined barrel too at that time, too. Fine. Then I get that Winchester 88 that shoots .308. Maybe double check its headspace before I buy it, though the only 7.62 ammo I'd shoot through it would be for practice or emergencies. Ok, ok, I am feeling better. Then I go short barrel M1A with a nice dot scope like this one. Use that as my serious carbine. I won't glass bed the Garand, but it is pretty decent all by itself. I can get a better trigger group from Fulton. That'd be nice. And it would give me plenty of spare parts.

Ok, that is better. What about the Remington 700 sniper 1000 yard target type? Hmmm... .300 mag? A specialty gun...

No comments: