Saturday, June 4, 2011

More Farmin'

So I discussed the 'farm' in my yard and the possible future potato patch.  This dovetails into the survival recipe list.  I have a good pea soup thing I can make from dried peas.  And a navy bean soup recipe.  And the boullion and pea and bean stockpile to dip into after the canned goods are gone.  I got a bunch of rice too, and I know how to cook that.  The hole in my survival prep is a source of potatoes (hence the gardening) and accoutrement to go with making potatoe soup.  Luckily, I go do potatoes other ways, but I'd like to experiment with making a yummy soup.

Stuff I should stock pile for that... More milk.  Cans of evaporated and dried milk.  Also, canned butter would be nice.  Or at least more cooking oil on hand.  And bacon.  Something cheaper than tactical bacon.  Real cured bacon

And I should get crackin' on some soup recipe until I become second nature.

2 comments:

Nancy R. said...

Easy Potato Soup ...

Boil potatoes and mash, add broth and/or milk to thin it out, pieces bacon or ham, onion if you've got it, cheese if you have it, salt and pepper.

Marty said...

Nancy stole my basic formula.

Ground Spam is good in there if you don't have bacon. Minced garlic is good.

Damn I'm hungry.