Friday, November 30, 2018

So you been training a lot

"But you haven't talked about holster work, T-Bolt.  Done any of that?"

Sure!

"I bet you are real good at it then, with all the practice you been getting with an instructor critiquing."

Oh, no!  No no no. 

First, it's not enough holster work.  And it's not enough dry fire draws at home.  It's some.  It needs to be more. 

But it is timed.  So that is something objective I can share.

"Oh goody!  1.4?  1.6?"

No, again!  I am pleased as punch when it is 2.0.  I think I got 1.9 or 8 once or twice?  Consistent two and a quarter is a good day where I am not screwing up.  So, pretty wretched.  I need to hope for guile in a gunfight, because I am no San Saba Songbird in the speed department.  My tactics will have to get downright Archimedean. 

And this is with a Glock, with a non-retention style holster, on the belt, at 9 o'clock, with no cover garment to worry about.  If I was getting 1.5 I might think I am hot stuff, but in those circumstances?  Get better, bruh. 

I am working on a hitch in my giddyup.  Bad transition from the count where you are out of the holster and you've transitioned to a forearm parallel to the deck at right angle to your upper arm, elbow touching the body.  From there, that point, to push out is the hitch.  A pause. 

The other problem is meeting my support hand to my shooting hand.  But I gotta a good tip from this podcast Tam recommended.  I am meeting too soon instead of in front of the sternum.  Like a handclap.  Where your two hands meet, naturally, when you are clapping.  Also maybe because of that hitch.  Don't want my other hand to sweep that muzzle.  With the hand clap that point in my push-out, my muzzle is much further forward. 

1 comment:

Will said...

http://misfiresandlightstrikes.com/2018/11/29/slick-draw-mcgraw/

A lightning draw seems to be the ticket maybe 1/3rd the time, if that. That's judging by the videos on ASP. Most of them seem to be surreptitious slow draws when the bad guy(s) aren't paying attention. If the only thing you know is a blazing "gunfighters" movement that is absolutely getting everyone's attention, you have a problem. People die doing this, partly due to them thinking they can beat an already drawn gun. Some can, most can't. The other factor that gets them killed is not realizing there is more than just the one you are focused on. ALWAYS assume there are multiple BG's, and try to look around for them prior to going to guns. The BG you miss seeing probably won't miss you. Often his/her ONLY job is to hang back and look for trouble brewing.