Sunday, November 11, 2018

Success!

On this Veteran's Day, this veteran set himself a task.

Fix the washing machine.

It has been streaming water.  Oh dear.  Out the bottom.  I found it stopped when you used hot water or cold water, but not double-down warm water.  Two valves open apparently was too much. 

This washing machine came with the house when I got it, and, I suspect, was bought with the house.  So, circa 1953.  The dryer is a little newer, as I have seen ads for the model from magazines published in the early Nixon administration.  So both have served me well since 1999.  Very few repairs.  I worry when things DO go wrong I will have to buy a new one.  Which is a pain.  And new ones don't last 65 years

It's a Maytag A606.  The washing machine.

And it needed this:



A little valve that injects the water into the tub.  It keeps back pressure from sucking soapy and dirty water back into the machine, so it is semi open to the air in its cradle, to stop any siphon effect.  With a new one, there is no spurting of water at any speed of input.  The plastic thing goes in the black rubber thing and that goes inside a larger hose and Robert is you Mother's Brother.

Back in business.  You can't expect the rubber parts to last forever.

Yes, I bought a spare.  In case they stop making these. 

I worry the drive belt will go someday.  But my repair record has gone so well, I will try to fix that, too.

No comments: