Saturday, October 29, 2011

Waiting One A Month

The Beard keeps teasing me with his gun shopping of "Ima gunna git"  X Y and Z.   In his case, a Mosin Nagant, a S&W M&P .45 and the Ruger LCP. 

Then I broke some bad news to him.  Besides a one week waiting period, there is a one gun a month rule in Maryland.  So, let's say he plops down the money for all 3 boomsticks.  It's, what?  $1200 or so?  Maybe less?  And he does it on November 1st at his favorite gunstore. 

Now the Mosin is a rifle, not subject to the waiting period rule.  He takes that right home from the store.  Then, I am pretty sure, (correct me if I am wrong) even with a rifle purchase he has to wait 31 days in my state.  Because FFL like to err on the side of caution, I notice they always add and extra day on there.  so 32 days later.  Then the M&P is on deck.  NICS check is run on December 2.  Now the waiting period starts.  Again, FFL adds a day for padding a lot of the time.  So The Beard gets that gun on the 10th of December.  The one month clock ticks on again.  On January 11th another NICS check is run, and the pickup for the Ruger is January 19th.  For a gun he paid for on November 1st.

I've never bought a rifle and 2 pistols at once in MD.  Is that how it works for folks?  That is my understanding based on what my FFL told me long ago.  The Beard was unaware of the hassles.  He shook his head ruefully.

He's gonna get that M&P first and wait the rest out as they come, BTW. 

----

Oh, and I reminded him to get a good holster for his pistols, too.  He never intends to carry, but I figure better to have a holster and never need it, than to need it and then shoot yourself in the groin area for carrying a gatt Mexican style in NYGiants sweatpants.

I usually tell new shooters to get some kind of gunsafe before buying a gun.  You can order the holster during the 1 week waiting period.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can get 'collector' status from MSP by filling out the form ,having it notorised.Your FFL should have them on hand,of course they'd love to sell you more than 1 gun a mounth .

Laura said...

definitely get "collector" status. hell, the club Chris joined actually required all members to get it.

JB Miller said...

I can buy all three today and leave the gun store with them, right then, with ammo, loaded and concealed.

I love VA.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

It's not an issue for me. I don't need to buy multiples nor anticipate doing so. But my work buddy wasn't aware of the delays he would face if he wanted to do this right now.

TheAxe said...

" A person may not purchase more than one regulated firearm within a 30-day period..."

regulated here refers to handguns and stuff on our 'assault weapons' list so the Mosin wouldn't apply. He could get the mosin and the M&P the same day and get the Ruger a month later.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/MDSL.pdf

Sport Pilot said...

It's frustrating to see gun ownership restriction's and requirements for a permit to purchase or own said firearm. Though not perfect at least TN is not so restrictive.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I find it a good idea to plan ahead and have lots of firearms on hand to avoid problems such as this.