Sunday, April 7, 2013

Flattened

This week I've been flattened by sickness. 

And this week flattened by my state legislature

Only a matter of time before they ask for a turn in.  And I will.  Just the stripped lower, of course.  Flattened.

But not yet...

The way I am reading the new law...  You can't buy an Assault 'Long Gun' next year.  They name some manufacturers.  But if you get a mag fed semi-auto not made by those manufacturers and it doesn't have any of the standard copycat 'evil' assaulty-weapony features, that's ok. 

Well, a stripped lower with a, say, "SaysUncle Industries" stamped on it (thus not specifically named as verboten), doesn't have pistol grips or folding stocks or flash suppressors on it.  There is really nothing in the legislation that says no.  At least on my read-throughs.  I'm still looking.  But such a truck sized hole in Maryland gun laws are typical from this statehouse.   

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Get well NJT, but I fear it will be a 'while' before the vaccination takes at the State House...

Chris said...

After going through the text and some of the amendments (my eyes started burning and my jaw started hurting from grinding my teeth), it looks like it's a no-no if the centerfire, semiautomatic rifle that can accept a detachable magazine has any two of the following: folding stock, grenade/flare launcher, or flash suppressor. Like you said, "truck sized hole".

I still don't get the angst about things like flash suppressors. I mean, if it saves your eyesight so you don't burden Obamacare, isn't that a good thing?

The registration requirement for something that you have legally bought is, in my uninformed opinion, sort of an ex post facto law (unconstitutional). It is, in effect, making a passive act (owning a previously legal item) criminal unless you identify yourself (Fifth Amendment, anyone?) to the police.