Friday, April 19, 2013

Wheelgun Smithing

So I referenced a gunsmithing manual.  Kuhnhausen has others, and I wanted to get a hard copy of the 1911 version.  Plus...

Looking through this... Revolvers look HARD!  Lots of skills machining and fitting that I don't have.  I think I'd have an easier time with the 1911 than to do similar complicated things with a Smith and Wesson. 

Am I going to do those complicated things, myself?  Probably not.  Not with my own stuff.  I'd rather practice on someone else's money first.  But with these resources, at least I can communicate better with a smith and diagnose things better. 

I like these books, and it made me realize there are few gun books I do like.  Jeff Cooper is a fun read.  But a lot of other titles by other authors aren't re-readable.  Hatcher, is good.  I'd like to get some Elmer Kieth that doesn't cost north of $100.  I like old stuff like period catalogs from before I was born.   These books fall into my "keep handy on a shelf" criteria more than Green Eyes Black Rifles does.

Any other recommendations, book wise?

3 comments:

Bob said...

Bear in mind that there are a lot of cheap revolvers out there, the ones in .32 S&W or .38 S&W, that are basically junkers and sell for less than $200. These can be good practice projects.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Bookwise, pick up a good copy of the Gun Digest from the 90s. It is amazing to look back at the MSRPs from 20 years ago and see how, in reality, many Firearms are cheaper today than they were back then (and Versa- Visa).

Jim said...

For the 1911 you can do much wose than "The Custom Government Model Pistol" by Layne Simpson. Plenty of eye candy plus exhaustive material on repair and modification.

I do less tinkering with revolvers because I agree they can be persnickety. I agree with Bob that one approach is to put a screwdriver to a cheap one and see what happens. You've probably already thought about the trick of photographing every step you take. It will prevent gross errors.