Friday, April 5, 2013

Pin

I don't even know how that front sight is pinned in place on a 1970s era Colt 1911.  I have no idea how I'd go about replacing the front sight my ownself.

I guess I need more 1911 gunsmith manuals.  Or one.  One good one. I thought I had one around here somewhere...

My guess is this is what smarter gunnies call a 'staked' front sight.  And that if I want to put something else up there the gunsmith will have to take a milling machine and make a dovetail cut.  Dang, that sounds like extra expense...

--

On a simiar note... how easy is it for me to knock the pin out on a S&W 640's front sight, then replace it?  Should I get a new pin?  I have gunsmith punches and a pin start and a non marring hammer.  Do I need any other tools?  Or just leave it to a pro?

3 comments:

Ratus said...

No, milling Tbolt. Just a replacement staked front sight.

Here is a guide to diy it.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/165.htm

Remember Google is your friend.

Mark/GreyLocke said...

Or you can do what I'm planning on doing. Getting an extra barrel, slide and bushing. I'm looking to get an extra slide with twin dovetails and slide serrations front and read. My arthritis is making racking the slide a little difficult on my Norinco clone.

Murphy's Law said...

Any time you drive a pin out, it's always better and easier to just replace it with a new one.