Thursday, March 26, 2009

Back Strap Erosion

On revolvers there is a tiny gap between the cylinder and the barrel. No big deal, but don't put your finger near there if you are firing 2-handed. Hot gases can shoot out and severely injure you.

This hot gas will evenually erode away some of the metal on the back strap of the revolver. That is the top of the frame that the cylinder fits in and right above the barrel's back opening.

I just noticed a bit of erosion on the S&W 686. A tiny bit.

When do I need to get worried about this?

I don't have the knowledge that Tam has. I haven't inspected hundreds of used revolvers. I have no idea what a lot is or what too much is or what a piddling amount is. Any help would be appreciated.

3 comments:

Tam said...

"Flame cutting" is no real big deal. It only goes a certain distance and then stops. It's certainly nothing to worry about on an L-frame.

Anonymous said...

None of my revolvers have self-converted to a Colt '51 Navy style frame. Supporting empirical evidence +1.

Is someone trying to scare you JTB? Because I got the full-on scare from the "experts" with my DW 357 Max, even though its SAAMI maximum average pressure is only 5,000 psi higher than the 357 S&WM, and the distance is greater to the top strap.

See: Inverse Square Law.

See: Tam Infallibility Rule

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I'm going with the TIR.

That and the better term: Flame Cutting. Erosion may be for throats and I'm just confuzzled. WOuldn't be the first time. Mom sniffed a lot of glue when she was pregnant.