Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Shooter's Wheel

I've gone over the shooter's wheel before, but this deserves some review, as there is always new insight to discover and apply.







[Note, I am left handed so this diagram is mirrored left to right for me.]



And that whole Bullseye website has info to be mined...



So, low and right for a lefty means... what I always complain about... JERKING. They even made it bold and ALLCAPS in the diagram to highlight my great shame. Though I have also worried about tightening fingers, and, sure enough, that's there too.



Which is why I do a bit better with "tickling" the trigger. It's simply a method I use, for me, to improve a crappy trigger pull.



It could be worse. I could have a whole passle of faults. For all I know I have... But I just want to fix the bad habits I have and move my crappy groups into the middle. If JERKING was equally negated by Heeling, I'd probably be happy. If I got rid of ALL bad habits I'd be ecstatic. Time to look for more training. Maybe a few weeks of more intensive practice, twice a week.

3 comments:

Home on the Range said...

One of my readers was asking about the same sort of chart but for shooting rifles. Have you seen one?

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

i'd be interested in a rifle chart too.

haven't spied one as yet

GunGeek said...

Of course, the big problem with this chart is that you really need to have the pistol zeroed using a hands-off rest of some sort before you use the chart. Otherwise you just end up moving the bullseye to whatever place on the chart that you're hitting.

Then it looks like you're some sort of super shooter, always hitting where you aim, when in reality you're really just ingraining bad habits.

Hmmm, looks like I just found an excuse, uh I mean good solid reason, why I need a pistol rest. And while I'm ordering stuff anyway, I might as well pick up some other stuff I've been meaning to get...