Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Beretta X4s

Beretta makes 3 types of X4s. PX4, CX4, and now RX4.








Intriguing. If I liked Beretta, I'd have my carbine selection made for me. The pistol and carbine share ammo and magazine commonality with each other, and you can get the carbine to match other models of Beretta handguns. But get all those firearms above, and a shotgun and .22, and you can call yourself 'covered.' All from one company.

But that rifle, the RX4 is interesting, and appeals to my lack of anything that fires .223. If I were to get a .223 rifle, now I have another option. As if I needed MORE .223 options. AR's, Mini-14, expensive high quality quasi ARs like SIGs offering, HKs, now this.

Looks like the RX4 takes standard NATO magazines. Good. It's styling is similar to the CX4, but it actually looks better on this platform. Plenty of places to mount sights, flashlights and tactical bottle openers.

The Ruger Mini-14 still holds my heart. It's like an M1 Carbine that fires more common .223 ammo and they still manufacture is quantity today. It has the Garand style action I love, and it's still all conservative in styling with wood stocks common. Less expensive than most alternatives, too. MBtGE loves Mini-14s, but he is also digging the RX4. Availabilty of regular capacity magazines is its drawback.



1 comment:

GunGeek said...

What we really really really need is a semi-auto 223 that takes AR magazines but looks like a regular average everyday hunting rifle.

I would like to think that if a new AWB ban makes it through someone will start making something like this that does not fall within the restrictions of said ban, but nobody did last time and they knew that it would be ten years before it had a chance of sunsetting.

Make a 4 or 5 round shorty magazine that fits flush (or flushish) to further enhance its "innocent" appearance and they'd be set.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I'd even sell one or more of my existing guns to do so if I had to. That's how bad I want one.

I figure there are a whole lot of people like me out there (it's nice to think you're not alone in your thought processes) that want something like this also.

Alas, given the current political situation, I can't imagine anyone coming out with such a weapon. With the combination of having to run extra shifts right now just to crank out what the teeming masses are clamoring for and the uncertainty of the wording of any new AWB laws, it just ain't happening.

sigh.