Friday, May 28, 2010

Forgot to mention

I forgot to mention on that last range trip… There was an injury.


On the seventh shot of one magazine I was struck in the forehead with something. WHANGO. It was a pretty significant little hit. I didn’t see it, but it must have been some spent brass. The hit was harder than usual, and it happened as the slide was locking back. It could have even bounced off of some in the shooting lane, like the side shields. It left a mark, and some blood, but the blood didn’t stream or anything. I only noticed the blood in the mirror after when washing the GPR off of my hands.


It’s stuff like this that makes you appreciate the utility of eye protection. No long term harm. A mark on my face isn’t going to detract from its aesthetic value. You have to HAVE value before it can be detracted from, as I have a face that can make a freight train take a dirt road.

So… remember the most important safety feature. Safety glasses. No, wait, that’s for woodworking with Nahm.


2 comments:

Earl said...

Well, I have heard that the reason one wears a cup when playing sports is the unintentional flying force, seems to me that wearing safety glass and hearing protection are an even better idea. But wouldn't it be kind of cool if the ejected rounds all shot forward towards one's target, just in case you missed, the hot brass might get them.

SpeakerTweaker said...

I have now been hit in the face twice while at the firing range. First time was behind the firing line, and something jumped out of someone else's single-action rimfire revolver and hit me less than an inch below my left eye (and I was wearing safety glasses!). Second time was shooting my own Browning Buckmark, and it hit me in the mustache. Burned like hell. Wear the glasses!

And it just occured to me. Both instances involved .22s. Wonder what that's about...