Wednesday, May 26, 2010

May 1911 Range Time

Well crap. I DO shoot a double action revolver better than a 1911. At least cold.

Here is the first target:


The issue with me is, I think, that I have to consciously think about the trigger pull more with a 1911. Here is me thinking harder and getting a better result:


If I fixed the down and right thingy of mine and blew a hole out of the center rather than the 4 o'clock position I'd be dangerous at a pin-shoot.

Let's got over it again. What cause a left hander to shoot low and right? Anticipation where you push the gun forward ahead of the recoil. I see this when shooting revolvers on an already shot cylinder or when using snap caps. A pre-flinch, if you will. But also... Try this at home. Empty gun, hammer down, light grip. Pull the trigger against the stop by taking up that little bit of slack. Repeat that as quick as you can and kinda gently. When I do that I can see the muzzle dip a tiny bit low and right. With a laser it would be much more obvious down range. Hmmm... how to fix THAT? That's no anticipation of recoil. That's just clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick.

And one more target:


Tomorrow I think I'll bring the SIG DAK and the snubbie.

5 comments:

George said...

Glad to have another left-hander in the mix! I think you have made a correct diagnosis-anticipation.
AND, you seem to have a handle on the correction. Whenever my shooting sucks, I try to remember to go back to basics. Trigger control, sight alignment, firm, consistant grip and stance. Sometimes, it is the machine. I had a stainless Commander that I could shoot INSIDE the barn, and still miss. But, my NM 1911 will make them all touch @ 15 yards, with help from the operator.

Old NFO said...

Sounds like you've got too much finger in the trigger... That tends to push to 730 low for a righty or 530 low for a lefty... What is the trigger pull? 5 5 1/2 lbs?

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

trigger pull? beats me? Springfield Loaded, unaltered.

charles said...

Looks pretty much like what I get. Same gun model, same hand. Now I can work on fixing the problem, instead of wondering what it is.

Old NFO said...

What 'may' be happening, and you can verify this next time at the range, is to see if your pinky finger is tightening up on the grip. If it is, you have too much finger on the trigger. I don't know what the stock Springer trigger is, but I "know" a heavy trigger will force you to 'throw' shots low right or low left depending on your shooting hand. When the NY triggers were installed on police Glocks, shooting scores dropped dramatically, due to forcing brought on by the 12 lb triggers vs. the 6 lb triggers.