Saturday, May 29, 2010

Popped Into My Gunstore

I popped into my gunstore to see if there was anything new to see. There was. A Boys anti-tank rifle! Like this:

Wow!

This rifle could penetrate tank armor. Or it could penetrate 1938 tank armor. 1940 tank armor was too thick. Then is was just something really heavy to carry.

If you read gun magazines that are 50 years old, they sold these on the surplus market for years and years. $40 maybe, back then? They are a bit more, now.

That’s no t the worst of it. The ammo for this anti-tank rifle is funny. .55 caliber. The gunstore has 2 live rounds in a brass stripper clip with a 1938 date stamp on it. He told me that he found 5 rounds for $150. Getting up to tround or pinfire cartridge level. And reloading can’t be that easy.

Anyway, the gunsmith was in and was talking about making a DeLisle repro, and my ears perked up. We got to chatting, and it would be no more expensive for me if he made some lefty bolt action into a .45 DeLisle-esque kluge. Yeah, I’d pay for one of those. Tax stamps and all (It might be 2. One for the suppressor, one for the short rifle barrel.)

I gotta be more careful popping into my gunstore. I can get my wallet in trouble that way.

5 comments:

Jim said...

The U.S. acquired some of these from Britain for use against the thinner-skinned Japanese tanks. The only references I recall attributed their use to the Marines.

Murphy's Law said...

You might be interested in these guys:
http://www.specialinterestarms.com/index.php?page=enfield_conversions

They make new suppressed Enfield-based .45 carbines. 1 transfer tax, since the suppressor is integral to the gun. Very quiet. I should have one soon.

Old NFO said...

Interesting... :-)

Geodkyt said...

Luckily, the Boys is rather easily converted to .50BMG for cheaper shooting, if desired.

And then it isn't even a DD.

Anonymous said...

While it doesn't quite meet your criteria for being pistol-caliber, I've long been lusting for a CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39 that is integrally suppressed. John's Guns used to have one on their website. I notice that it isn't there now, but they are listing a Ruger 77/44 in .44 Mag for $1900. Ruger's website even indicates that the 77 is available in lefty models (although no indication of which calibers). The CZ527 can be done lefty.

Very sweet.

-Michael