Saturday, September 29, 2012

AR Build

So I bought the complete lower parts and complete buttstock assembly.  When I got to MBtGE's house before the Fun Show, we got to assembling, using his AR as an example to crib off of.

Everyone was right... LOTS of things that go sproing into the darker nooks and crannies of whatever room we were in.  But I was ready for it.  They didn't get far.  It took a plan for some springs and pins.

Complete parts list?  Not... quite...  I need 2 parts to attach the buttstock properly to the lower.  So the rear upper attachment takedown pin is not properly secured, yet.  But I had the gun show to find them.  And an upper.  More on how that worked out, later...


The lower parts kit and trigger is just plain jane.  Cheap enough, GI grade.  Upgradable maybe.  But the upper I get, I want to get the right one the first time.  I don't want to deal with a used lesser upper.

2 comments:

JD Rush said...

I've been meaning to try this mod on one of my rifles. This way, having the buffer tube off makes no difference.

www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/381209_Takedown_Pin_Detent_Modification.html

Angus McThag said...

The short hand for the back pin is the "take-down pin" and the front is the "pivot pin".

Saying it that way may someday save you from someone asking, "now which pin are you talking about again?"