Thursday, February 20, 2014

Safety

This is why they invented lemon squeezers.  Of course an infant left alone to wander into a henhouse is bad enough, there isn't the grip strength to pull back the hammer or pull the trigger, Double Action.  Plus, the wee bairn is suffering from horrible perspective problems.  Can you imagine those eggs coming out of that chicken.



An Obliviot I work with is sure his son couldn't work the slide of his XD 45.  So, Safe!  That was 4 years ago.  Now the boy plays little league and Obliviot still maintains he can't work the slide.  No matter what I say to him otherwise he still maintains he is unable to work the slide yet.  He instructs the child in safe gun handling, at least.  But with this big a blind spot, I dunno.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Massad Ayoob wrote some years back about raising his own children.
Every year, on their birthdays, he'd give them a 191l to rack.
No rack, okay to leave out.
One year he saw one child leaning full-weight on the coffee table using the slide!
THEN, he knew it was time to secure them.

gfa

ASM826 said...

Couldn't the kid set the slide against a door frame and push with his body? You friend is a moron. in this state he would be a criminal and could lose all his firearms.

Chris said...

My father had an effective way (at least in my case) to keep me from messing with his guns. They were locked in a gun rack, but I knew where the key was. The method was that he told me that if I ever touched them without him being there, I wouldn't be able to move out of the hospital bed for weeks.

Windy Wilson said...

I lock up everything when my nieces and nephews visit, anyway, but their inability to pull the trigger or rack the slide changes much more quickly than an annual test will reveal. My nephew couldn't push the balls out of the ack-ack burp gun a month ago when we were shooting at the cardboard tiger in his hallway. Now he can. I think a pistol with a blowback system is still safe, but I wouldn't bet my life, liberty or what happiness I can still foreseeably pursue on that belief.

This is similar to where mothers are always surprised when baby can turn over on the bed during diaper change. It is a surprise I intend to avoid.