Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Lefty Bolt Action

When I go into a gun store for the first time I like to see if they have a lefty bolt action on the wall.  Never seen one.

Then I ask them if they will order one for me.  Remember, they don't know me from Adam's off ox. 

The answer is invariably no or some sort of hedge.  "Just what you see up there, pal."

I've never asked a gun store I have established a relationship with.   I bet they'd say yes, now, but I am already a bit salty about the initial turn-down. 

None are will to order Caspian frames for me, either.  Even stores that know me.

But.  I am willing to bet a goodly number would order a Browning BLR for me, if asked, tho.  Especially in a commoner caliber.  ".308, fine. .22 Hornet, get out of my store."

I swear, I have no idea how gun stores would stay in business if it weren't for Gun Banners.  Because of the 1968 Gun Control Act they are sort frozen in amber with how they conduct business with the ATF books and what not, with standard gun store clerk surliness, and general unhelpful behavior...  A lot still refuse to do a transfer with gunbroker.  "Just buy what you see on the wall, buddy, or get out."

Now I know what you are.  "But gun store X isn't like that!  Go to them!"  First of all, they might be 'like that'.  Second of all, NONE should be 'like that'.  In an ideal world.  Third, you know I buy guns on occasion, I have managed to manage my gun purveyors. 

Gun stores close all the time.  Capitalism works like that.  But there seems to be little feedback where the lessons of the closed store are learned by the open or opening store.  Plus the aforementioned panic-buy waves, as regular as the tides, keeps em afloat a bit longer than otherwise. 


3 comments:

Donulld said...

Take a little drive to Emmitsburg, MD, and visit Stateline Gun Exchange. We have no issue ordering LH rifles. I work part time there, and it is a great little shop. We have a lot of repeat customers who make the drive from Baltimore and further.

Zendo Deb said...

You need to step up the quality of the stores you visit. I have a left-handed friend who has (maybe had) a .30-06 bolt-action in lefty, they have tried to sell her on a left-handed AR (but she currently isn't buying rifles, and she's used to the right-handed semi-autos from the pistols.)

I think one of the LH guns she bought when it was just "in stock." (She is more of an impulse buyer than I have to have the Blastomatic 308 model G)

I'm pretty sure any of the stores I visit would help order one, especially if it's from one of the vendors they usually do business with. And then there are always internet transfers.

There are a few stores I won't do business with. (Cabella's and Bass Pro being 2. Because you want to be ignored in a gun store, be a woman.) I've waved cash in their face and said you just lost my business for all time. (Usually the clerks are in DEEP conversation - over football or hockey or whatever - and so too busy to wait on a customer.)

Wolfman said...

You're a long way from my store, in Cornelius, OR. We only have one Lefty gun, and it's a Ruger in .30-06, but we LOVE to Special Order stuff!