Friday, September 7, 2018

Not so easy-shooting 9mm

I think I am a different shooter than I once was.  Before all the training.  Before I got better at it.

If you put a .45 and a 9mm on a bench and let me try both of the, the 9mm felt easier to shoot.  Gentle.  Almost like a .22 compared to the larger caliber.  Well, maybe not that gentle, but noticeable.

Now?  One of my biggest disappointments about getting a heavier 9mm pistol was that its recoil felt no gentler than a standard 1911.  I was expecting easier recoil control leading to faster accurate shots.  It just feels about the same. Same with other 9mm pistols, not just that first one.

I don't know.  Maybe getting better made the .45 seem gentler because of improved shooting technique and the 9mm is as gentle as it ever was.   

2 comments:

Mike V said...

I think your last paragraph has the answer. I don’t feel much difference between my 9s and my 45.

Will said...

Lighter bullet, but it has a higher pressure, so you will notice a snappier recoil. Also, sometimes a 9mm gun is lighter. Too may variables for a valid comparison.