Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Real ID

Finally got mine.  Real ID.

They waited on me because my license was close to expiring.  I must be one of the last.

If you get the option to make an appointment at your motor vehicle administration or department of motor vehicles or whatever you call it, do it.

There were two lines when I got there, 45 minutes early.  The line to take a number.  The appointment line was a dozen people.  My line.  It moved slow, because, of course it did.  ALL lines at the MVA move slow.  The other line, the one for people without an appointment?   The peasantry?  60 people in that one.

Once the bureaucratic sloth worked through to me and I got my number I had about 30 seconds before that number was called.

Now, you need a proof of your social security number.  An old W-2 did for me.  A photo ID.  And I had a passport for that.  And 2 utility bills to prove you have an address.  Piece of cake.

What was new was the warnings you had to acknowledge that you were a citizen eligible to vote and you promised never to be involved in voter fraud or any kind of vote stealing schemes.  That was new.

Another new thing is if you bring your DD214 you can get "Veteran" put on your DL.  So, now I guess I can get discounted meals on November 11th?

They said they'd mail it to me in 7-10 business days.  It took 4.

Next on the list?  In two months the passport expires.

5 comments:

ASM826 said...

I can just hear George Patton or Chesty Puller...

"Men, we're going to take this beachhead and we're going to drive the enemy back until we have victory. Some of you are going to die. Perhaps many of you are going to die. But remember, if you survive, you'll get free meals at the Golden Corral buffet on November 11th for the rest of your life!"

Miguel GFZ said...

I am already done with the Real ID and I do have to renew my passport. But I was thinking on going the Passport Card way since I have no plans to leave the Continental USA but I still want proof of Citizenship. The PC is both cheaper and I can carry in my wallet.

BobF said...

In Florida -- walked out with mine in hand last year; took about 45 minutes total as I remember (with appointment). Twenty-something stations and *maybe* a third of them manned.

Hadn't thought of the veteran thing, but the person who checked my docs saw the ID in my wallet and did that part for me.

Curious -- did they ask if organ donor? Mine shows on the DL now, though anyone who uses these parts is truly desperate.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

They asked about organ donor. I told them hell no. I am not a walking liver organ replacement bank for the Maryland elite!

And that is why I abuse my liver, too.

The Neon Madman said...

You can renew your passport by mail. That's how the wife and I did it. Print out a form from online and get some photos from Walgreen's.