Thursday, February 20, 2020

The Deficit

People are whinging that Trump has a budget deficit on his watch.  But Vice President Cheney more than 15 years ago told me deficits don't matter.  And no whining now gave a Tinker's damn about Obama's deficit.

Except maybe to say it went down during his administration.  Of COURSE it went down.  It tripled his first year.  I would hope it would go down after that. 

So, anyway.  I doubt the deficit hawks sincerity now. 

Do I like deficits?  No.  Does complaining about the deficit win anyone an election?  Also no.  But did I have any on-topic blog fodder to share?  No, as well.

----


1 comment:

Pigpen51 said...

I always hated deficit spending, until someone explained to me that nearly everyone engaged in deficit spending, if they had a mortgage on their house. It is the same thing,so the explanation goes, and doesn't have anything to do with how the health of the economy is, or how it is going to be in the future.
I know this is not a good explanation, but the way it was told to me, it did make sense, and was not just someone talking in circles to confuse me. Just like Bill Clinton had a balanced budget, which really didn't mean much, looking at things from a macro economics point of view. None of which I am able to explain as well as those who understand things like this better than I do.

pigpen51