Friday, August 29, 2008

SIG... Again

The SIG SAS models aren't restricted to just the one I got to play with.

The P229 was the original one I considered. The one Chuckles has. It has the smooth double action DAK trigger, the frame is dehorned so it won't snag on stuff, it has handsome wood grips, but all the other SAS are these things.

This particular SAS model is a bit bulky, and that is its minus, but the minus goes hand in hand with the 'plus' of 12 round magazing capacity. .40 caliber only, and the 229 was supposedly designed from the ground up as a pistol to shoot the .40, rather than a 9mm model redesigned to make-do. At least that is the hype surrounding it. And I like it. Lots.


Another is the P239. Too small for my hand, I bet. TOO tiny is the minus. But man that would be nice and concealable and comfortable. Low capacity at 7 or 8 rounds. Not bad. Wonder if that is single stack mags? It comes in 9mm and .40, and there is one less round crammed into the .40 compared to the 9mm. Darn thing must be teeny. And I bet it's snappy on the recoil, perhaps uncomfortable. I'd DEFINITELY have to test fire one to consider it, both for hand fit and the comfort for my hand, as well as how I can shoot it.


The SIG P220 Carry SAS .45 is about the same size weight as 229… hmmm, I could go this route, with the manly .45ACP.

There are various other calibers in the SIG line besides the considered .40 or .45. Like the 9mm (no) and .357 SIG (maybe… good performing round, that .357 SIG, but expensive and less available than .40 or .45, AND I can't seem to find a de-horned version like the P220 .45 below).

I could buy this one without a test drive. Just being able to fondle it in the store would answer my questions. It's only slightly bigger than the 229 in height and weight. It might be less bulky, even, as it only has 8 rounds in the magazine, so the grip could be slimmer. I'd have to compare in the store. (It would be cool if that magazine was 1911 style! Nope. I checked. Had it been it would have rocketed to the top of the want list.)





Note the big visual difference between the 3 models is the trigger guard. Odd. For the 220, the little hook helps if you grip it in such a way you weak hand can can engage it, thus helping control recoil flip. Or it can be, for some grip types.

I'm torn between either the 220 or the 229, I think. Plenty of time to think about it. Maryland isn't in a hurry to pass Conceal Carry legislation.

No comments: