Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Panic!

So I lived through a SHOCKING earthquake yesterday on the 4th floor of my office building.  Impressive.

I went on vacation a couple weeks ago.  It was a camping trip, so I had a full truck of Bug Out Bag with me, and I took out the regular BoB before I left.  Thing is, I hadn't put it back in the truck...

Yesterday I pounded in a post that was loose and helping prop up a young dogwood tree.  I took the 4 pound sledge I use for tent stakes and emergency egress out of my truck to do this chore.  Thing is, I hadn't put it back in the truck after...

I was thinking of these things as I went down the stairs to flee our office building.  25 miles from my BoB bag and sledge.

Dammit.

I have corrected this oversight.  Now.  After the horses have left the barn I closed the barn door.

One of the things I like about this area is we don't get many natural disasters like out west.  No mudslides, volcanoes, fires, tsunamis, droughts, earthquakes...  The occasional hurricane.  Well this week we get a 5.9 tremblor and this weekend the hurricane might pass overhead.

3 comments:

Maura said...

Sh*t, I didn't even THINK of that.

I was in Beltsville when it happened - and yes, 12 miles from my BoB and emergency supplies in Silver Spring when it happened.

My little car has some emergency things - but not nearly enough.

Huh.

Bob said...

I guess that Road Bags will soon become all the rage, huh?

Bubblehead Les. said...

Well, we felt it up here on the North Coast. But since we have a Minor problem with minor Earthquakes all the time (2s and 3s), and since the Nuke Plant up the Road didn't hit it's Sirens (even though it's built next to the Earth Quake Spot), it was rather nice to get a Free Massage while I was sitting in the Recliner.

Having said that, I take a Layered approach to BOB's. For the Cube Crawlers, a small shoulder bag with essentials (Aton Edwards "Preparedness NOW!" book has a good list) with decent Walking shoes should go into one's Cube and STAYS there. Carol has one set up at her work place.

Then I use a knock-off Maxpedition -Type Shoulder "Man Bag" for my "going to and fro" routine. It goes where I go, unless there are "Signs" posted (but thats another issue.

Then I have a 3-5 Day Back Pack with some tools in a Tool Box in ALL my vehicles.

Then at Home are His and Hers 7 Day Big Back Packs, in case we have to Run Away from the House.

Then I have Lots of Stuff for the House, enabling Me to "Shelter in Place" for a Long Time.

Then I have Stuff down at my Parents Place in Southern Ohio, in case it gets Bad enough to pull a "Bug Out" up here.

YMMV, of course, but remember what TAM wrote after the Indy State Fair Stage Collapse: "YOU are your own First Responder."