Thursday, July 30, 2020

Jeff Cooper Hearesy!

Naw, this guy pretty much has his number.  

Yes, Cooper contributed immensely to the knowledge base.  Yes, his study of the issue was constant.  Yes he did adapt when a new method proved more effective.

But he was also a curmudgeonly old codger set in his ways, and this was all obvious after only a brief exposure to his writings.

I didn't get into reading his stuff until this blog started in 2007, just after he died, but I knew all the negatives from the jump.  It was obvious.  He did become the default though.  I took his advice, and acted on it, until I learned better.  All knowing that I might very well learn better in the far, or near, future.

"Eschew .223 ARs and plastic 9mm's?  Gravitate toward steel 1911s and .308 rifles?  Can do, until I am more seasoned."

It's not like it is wrong-wrong to take Cooper's advice to heart.  It's not even wrong, singular.  It is a good starting point, especially when there were no other giants with a huge body of comparable published work to take guidance from.  Plus he is entertaining.

"So you are all about the plastic 9mm now, and 1911s are yesterdays news, T-Bolt?"

No.  I still like 1911s.  But I use, and have trained with to much higher proficiency than 10 years ago, both.  And enjoy both.  In a zombocalypse, when I wake up from a coma in an abandoned hospital, and someone hands me a 1911, I say "Cool!"  If instead they hand me a Glock 17, what do I say?  "Cool!"     



3 comments:

nunoyerbidneh said...

"But he was also a curmudgeonly old codger set in his ways, and this was all obvious after only a brief exposure to his writings."

Perhaps, perhaps not.

'Fact is, he was a giant, while you are a pipsqueak.

'Just sayin'.

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with nunoyerbidneh. What credentials do you have that would top the Col?

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

All of them. All of the credentials.