Friday, October 17, 2008

Fire

What would you do if you had a fire, and lost EVERYTHING? What would I do? First, it’d be a crying shame in the gun department. But it’d be a crying shame in the EVERYTHING department. I hope is NEVER happens. I don’t think, when all else is settled I’d need to re-get some guns.

Replacing everything, one for one, now that I know what I know… I wouldn’t do that. I’d take the time to simplify the inventory. I’d feel bad about losing heirloom stuff, but that’s the thing with heirlooms: once gone, they are GONE. Nothing will replace THAT particular Springfield ’03, so… There wouldn’t be one in the gun safe after disaster. Grandpa’s shotgun and Great Grandma’s squirrel gun, too.

So, what do I re-acquire immediately, and what do I save for later, and what do I omit entirely?

Well, you start with the 4 gun system. A .22, a shotgun, a major caliber pistol, and a major caliber rifle. Easy. Some .22 and perhaps the pump .22 rifle. A 1911, perhaps with a .22 conversion kit, the Remington 1100 12 gauge or an 870 Pump, and I’d get another M1A.

Now you need a spare. Well, I’d take this opportunity to get a 10/22, and then I’d be set there. I’d get a Moon Clip revolver like the 1917 S&W model 22 or the stainless S&W model 625, just for ammo commonality to cover the spare pistol stuff, a double barrel shotgun in 12 gauge, and maybe I’d finally get a bolt action rifle for the spare major caliber rifle.

Then I’d stop. No, really. Ok, throw in that SIG P229 I like for an odd gun out. But after that, seriously. No more. I’d be pretty bummed about the hobby for a while after losing everything. That’s 8.5 or 9.5. (counting the conversion kit for the 1911 as .5, hell might as well get the conversion for the SIG, too… so tops is 10.) It’s just about the 4-gun system and the spare, and it’s 4 common ammo types.

I sure would miss the Garand. Probably the most. And that would be because I couldn’t justify the replacement. It quickly became a sentimental favorite, even though I have no personal history with it, prior.

So here is the question for YOU gentle readers (all both of you). If you lost everything, what would YOU do different? What is your "get soonest after made insurance check is cashed" list? Or would you just spend a lot of time trying to re-create exactly as before, before you felt better.

Oooo, did I just start a Meme? Yes. Yes I did! Post a comment or post on yer own blog.

8 comments:

Bob S. said...

Bolt,

Do you have evidence of the firearms and their condition? Many insurance companies would require something proving that you actually had those items and they met the conditions you stated.

Also, might want to check to see if your policies cover firearms. I'm not sure if every policy does. I'll try to search out where I heard that but it is something I need to check on my own policy.


Bob S

Unknown said...

Gee...

I love what I got. I really just want to get some rifles and a good safe.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Doesn't matter if the insurance company covers firearms. If yours didn't cover firearms and your house burned down, would that mean you'd never buy another firearm to replace any you lost?

But my insurance covers, the NRA insurance covers, and I can a bunch by asking my helpful local gun dealer to profer up value information from his records. I bought all of them through him, directly of via transfer, after all,

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

you wouldn't get different ones, or fine tune what you have, if you had to replace them, Saj?

Anonymous said...

I think I'd have to buy 'em all again...And oh what fun that would be! A NIB copy of everything I currently own!

Anonymous said...

If I got the check I would immediately buy:

1) Springfield XDM in .45ACP, silencer, 5 mags
2) Benelli M4 Combat 12ga
3) M1A, .308, 10 mags, nice scope
4) Ruger 10/22 with silencer, 10 50round mags
5) Ruger Mark III .22lr with silencer
6) Ruger LCP .380
7) Remington 700, .308, silencer, nice scope
8) AR15, .223, 10 mags
9) Glock 21, .45AP, 5 mags
10) Glock 17, 9mm, 5 mags
11) Ruger SP101, .357

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't guns in a safe survive most usual house fires? It isn't like you live 50 miles from the nearest fire station.

Home on the Range said...

I downsized when I moved here, but house is still much larger than I need. I think I'd cash the check (it would be fairly big) and build a two bedroom home or cottage on about 40 acres. Plant a garden, have some trees for a blind. Get a good well going. Shop for reloading and workworking, and one big ass kitchen. Then time to start the new gun collection though the old Mausers might be hard to replace.