Friday, October 24, 2008

The Guy that Sits Next to Me

The guy that sits next to me at work?

Got him interested in a Mossberg Pursuader (oops, was thinking about comic book heros and called it a Punisher. I'm sure it is punishing. Especially if you use 3" magnum shells. Owwwie, my shoulder. Thanks, commenter.) last year because, A) he wanted a shotgun for home defense, and B) that IS a cool name… Good marketing there, Mossy. It’s a good value, a decent gun for the money, and is an effective goblin-smacker, as are many 12 gauge shotguns.

And recently he has expressed an interest in getting a pistol, and figured on Glock because he knows the name and they are cheap. I recommended the Springfield XD to him, instead. Something that shoots bullets that begin ".4-". I just like Springfield. The grip safety is a nice extra, in my mind. And I prefer the trigger. I've shot both, knowing I would shun plastic guns, probably forever, so I was essentially neutral. In that I was prejudiced against them from the get-go, and disliked the whole idea that they existed, so you know I'd not play favorites. That said, I was pleased at the way the XD shot for me.

The problem with this work colleague? He hasn’t actually GOTTEN them shootin' arns just yet. I tell him to hurry… Before he has no money. Chances are, his choices will have a less chance of being impacted by possible political inconveniences in the coming years, but you never know.

I recommended, also, that he get all the safety items when he gets the guns. A gun safe or locker that can resist the lockpicking skills of a child, for instance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's "Persuader" not "Punisher".