Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Rule #1 Check

Has anyone ever put a gun up, thinking it empty, taken it home, gotten ready to clean it, then found a round in the chamber? Yeah it's scary when that happens, but it does happen. It would the first step of a Negligent Discharge. It's why we follow the other 3 rules, in case that one slips by.

It hasn't happened to me yet, but I was wondering if it happens to others and how frequently.

I was thinking about from the last time at the range. I checked the chamber when I was done shooting a string and saw it empty, but I didn't double check when putting the rifles in the case. I realize I hadn't and gave myself a mental reminder to double and triple check when taking them out to clean, and not to point them at anything and not to get near the trigger until I did.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I'd have unzipped and double-checked...

:)

It's a frightful thing, fearing our own human frailty - is it not?

Julie said...

i haven't done it yet - but had to remind myself last time i got my pistol out of the safe that it was "not safe to assume that it empty just because i would have checked when i put it in there".

Never assume ....

Anonymous said...

I never do that, never get surprised. Because I KNOW mine are always loaded...

Anonymous said...

I don't believe that violates any of the rules of safety, but I agree it could be the first step in a ND, if you then violated a couple of the rules.