Thursday, October 30, 2008

My Perennial Carbine Selection Problem

I've considered this before. How to solve my carbine desire. A handy light rifle that shoots light rounds, mainly for SHTF situation (sugar hits the fan.)

Maybe solved with one of THESE that takes SIG 229 (226?) mags...





And that SUB2000 has been in my thoughts before, but only wishing it comes in .45 someday. Preferably .45 and taking 1911 mags.

But what if the mags in a future SIG pistol buy ALSO fit the Kel Tec. That's something I hadn't considered with my desire for a new type of Conceal-Carry type pistol.

Supposedly, the A SIG P229 like I want, can take SIG P226 magazines of the same caliber, and which you can specify for the Kel Tec SUB2000 carbine's caliber and SIG magazine type. I don't know about going the other way. SIG 229 mags may fit in places a 226 mag goes if the 229s
weren't too short, maybe? But it's at least halfway there on my requirement for commonality. And maybe the closest I will get.

No, it’s not a perfect solution for the role of a small rifle for carrying around when the SHTF, but no so bad that you can’t be indiscrete about it. It covers the discrete part, but it is a plastic gun, it looks kinda scary compared to something with walnut stocks, and it is cheap and maybe overly so.

If the SHTF in a big way, discretion will be unnecessary, and I’ll just sport whatever. I hope THAT day never comes.

Plus it would be a while before I could get around to getting a carbine, probably.

But hey, since it folds, it will fit in my small, nigh-full, gun safe. Looking at the secondary part of the Master List I see a long shotgun that would be left in the home defense role out of the safe, 3 pistols, and a carbine. I won't be burdened with the added cost of an upgraded safe. At my rate, the 5 on the secondary list will get here by 2014, at the earliest.

Here are some Carbine comparisons at the bottom of this review, btw.
Various reports of subjective negative shootability for the Kel-Tec is the only thing that give me pause. A SHTF situation may never come, but I want firearm acquistions to be either A) fun or B) free. If this is neither... I'll have to think on it some more.
A future Hi-Point (even cheaper, ugly carbine) that accept 1911 mags would sway me away again, but that promise .45 variety has been a long time coming. And whether it would accept 1911 mags is a big question mark.
So, does this settle my Quarbine Quandry? Not even close. If a situation cropped up calling for a carbine NOW, and I had to be out the door in less than half an hour with a pistol and a carbine... I'd grab the M1A and forget the pistol. Probably be fine, too.

6 comments:

West, By God said...

A buddy of mine has one of those in 9mm. It feels like a cheap plastic gun but it is actually pretty sturdy and relatively reliable. I'm not sure it would be my first choice to have in a fire fight, but my friend has a put few thousand rounds through it with no problems. His takes Glock mags, which means you can get a big honkin' 33 round mag for it.

Also, if it gets too beat up, Kel-Tec has a lifetime warranty.

I've always considered getting one, because at the very least it would make a good trunk gun.

Sigboy said...

I also have been considering the SUB2000 carbine, with the Sig magazine option. Remember, a 226 mag will work in a 229, so a 229 mag should work in the carbine.
The added bonus is here: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=440681
20 rd ProMag for the Sig in 40. I have two of them and they work well. They would be perfect for that little carbine. Besides, if you get one, what are you out if you don't like it? $300 that you can use to trade for another gun?

red said...

My friend has the Glock version in 9mm. He likes it quite a bit. Have you checked out www.ktog.org ?

Anonymous said...

I want one that goes with my Glock 17 9mm. I have 35 round mags for it!

Turk Turon said...

Is an M1 Carbine out of the question? Granted, it is one more (unique) caliber and magazine to inventory. But it is a potent manstopper. The Symbionese Liberation Army swore by 'em. Jim Cirillo, too, they say:

http://www.paladin-press.com/product/1042/23

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I LIKE the M1 carbine, but ammo commonality is the issue, yes. Sure, there are revolvers that fire that ammo, but few other options. And their is greater chance of that caliber fading into expensive rarity, over time, than the .40 or .45.

Cheap widely available .30-06 is next. Then .308. Eventually these will go the way of the .41, and 10mm, and .30-40.

But I guess in 100 years the 9mm and .223 will, too. The others may happen in my lifetime, tho. If the zombies come in 2113 I won't care what calibers are available.