Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Stuff I would want if I were Right Handed

Stuff I would want if I were Right Handed.

Oh life would be SO much easier. At least I am left eyed dominant as well as being left handed. If I was mixed eye/hand I’d probably be dead my now. Killed by an accidental self-inflicted left-handed scissor wound.

Anyway. The Garand brass, and other brass, wouldn’t hit me in the head.

Well, I’d certainly use the Springfield ’03 I own more

I’d get some of those Czar/Commie bolt guns, too. They are cheap to buy and cheap to shoot and will scratch that recoil-loving itch a lot of gunnies get.

I’d be LESS likely to get a Swiss K31, oddly enough. Those are nice rifles with a straight pull-back style bolt. It’d be probably easier to use for a lefty, so there is less incentive for me to get it if I was always a righty. Why get a K31, when there are so many bolt action available that I could use?

Ooooo…. LOTS of Lee-Enfields. I’d want one type for .303, a 1917 version that shot .30-06, and I’d even take a .308 if I found one in decent shape, or for next to nothing.

And I’d have a bolt action hunting rifle by now for sure.

5 comments:

breda said...

Left handed, huh? That explains it.

Anonymous said...

Heck...I'd just settle for a decent selection of carry holsters.

I don't even bother to look any more. I got tired of being stared at as if I had two heads after asking "do you have xxx type of holster for an xxx pistol for lefties?"

I always end up with the cheapo-nylon "ambidextrous" holsters. Uncle Mike's loves me.

I once e-mailed fobus and enlightened them to the fact that they are eliminating up to 30% of the market for every holster they fail to make in a left-handed version. They replied "we're sensitive to the concerns of left-handed shooters...we just don't make holsters for them." (I'm paraphrasing of course, but that was the gist of it).

Sigh.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I got a nice lefty Serpa for the 1911 after the Para-Gunblogger event, Chief, on their recommendation. Tripped over a bunch of them at the gunshow. And for about $30... not bad.

Anonymous said...

That's a great price.

Unfortunately, for now, I have what I have. I can't afford to buy any new pistols right now....and haven't been able to for a while.

The only guns that the big makers make holsters for are the high volume sellers...which is not what I own. So I'm out of luck.

Someday I'll find a dependable 1911 that I can afford and I'll be in business, but in the meantime...

Fair warning for lefty shooters: I don't care how much you like a gun...if it's not a high volume seller, be sure to find out if anyone makes accessories for them before buying. You might be left out in the cold.

Anonymous said...

For high quality, affordable custom holsters for rihtys or southpaws, check out El Paso Saddlery.
JT, hate to gloat, but I have a lefthanded '03 Springfield.
Actually, though, once you are up to speed on sling use, the surplus stuff you were talking about is easy.