Friday, February 20, 2009

SIG P229 Holster

I've been putting this entry off for too long.

I put out a bleg to help me flesh out some options on a possible holster for my SIG P229 DAK. If my CCW from UTAH comes through it is the pistol I'd carry in surrounding states. I have a SERPA paddle holster, but...

I'm thinking about deeper cover than a paddle style holster. Like IWB, or Inside the WaistBand.

TXGunGeek and Mike W. suggested checking out Comp-Tac Minotaur. It looks to be half plastic half leather. It has a nice feature of being VERY smooth on the leather, body side. Well spaced belt clips, too. 9 day production time.

Another option is Raven Concealment offering, and you need to get an Eclipse accessory to make it IWB.

Blade-Tech is another option I found with an internet search.

AE Pilot suggested AKJ ConcealCo. And those are all leather. I like leather. It fits in with my preference for shooting gear that has at least 70 years of field testing. Like Garands and 1911's. Leather has been tested even longer. Centuries. Price isn't too shabby, either. It has a unique configuration for the belt loop. Looks like they make up your holster when you order, so delivery might be slower than the synthetics. But hey, custom made. 24 day production time, minimum it seems. I might go here to upgrade my 1911 holster, too, because they offer a thumb-break that I prefer for 1911s.

A harder to find, pretty much custom made, but highly thought of leather holster is by Milt Sparks. Specifically, the VM-2 model. Versa Max. They are made is small batches so availability is problematic, but people that manage to land one LOVE them. They don't speicifically make a P229 DAK model, but that is probably not a problem. One of the features I really like is the spaced Kydex apart belt loops, allowing for more of a shirt tuck to better hide it. Tuckable is good. Other holster have this feature, like Comp-Tac.

Some Galco IWB P229s stuff don't seem to lend to tuckage. Those that do expose a lot of metal on the "skin" side that other holsters cover with a leather flap. It seems to be this second type would be more comfy. The AKJ and Comp-Tac have this cover protect. It's both for my skin being protected from the gun, and the gun protected from my sweat. Don't forget a magazine carrier.

Don Hume has a leather one.

Guns Holsters and Gear linked to a holster exchange website and could be a source once I decide on a model AND I am lucky to find one there.

I forget who linked me to J B P Holsters, but it is another data point. It might have been Breda that put me wise, but don't quote me. It's more for small guns, not my SIG. But you never know with a future acquisition.

As of now, I am leaning Milt Sparks, Comp-Tac, and AKJ. Galco is the runner up. In that order of preference

And remember, I am a lefty...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been hearing a few people included Kenn Blanchard (ie: BlackManWithAGun) talking about Crossbreed holsters.

Might be worth looking into...
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

Mike W. said...

Yes it was Breda that linked to the JPB holsters. They work fine for my Sig P6's and even my P228, but the P229R is heavier than those, slightly wider than the P228 and of course railed. I'll try my P229R in it tonight and let you know how it fits.

I'm also looking for a holster for my P229R DAK and am 99% sold on the MTAC. One nice thing about it is that you can simply buy another half-body if you decide to use it for another gun.

NotClauswitz said...

A friend who carries a P220 in MA has a Galco IWB and a Gould & Goodrich paddle holster - and some others. I'm looking for something for my 20-yr old without the rail P220.

Jay G said...

I carry my G30 in a Crossbreed Tuckable holster and it's quite comfortable - and well-hidden.

Mike W. said...

Ok, the P229R fits in the JPB holster but not that well. You could use it in a pinch if you had to, but it wouldn't be my 1st choice.

The P225 & P228 fit just fine though.