Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Malf

So, I get an easily corrected Malfunction when using the 1911. It won’t always close all the way on the first cartridge of a magazine. Either the mag spring is too strong, or the recoil spring isn’t strong enough.

Correction at the range is easy. A light tap on the slide closes the chamber up. Correction is also unnecessary if I religiously grease the slide rails after every session.

But I’d need the input of someone with more 1911 knowledge for a further fix… A stronger recoil springm, mebbe.

I have no idea how strong the stock Springfield spring is. Maybe 16 or 18 pounds? But I do know that you can get a plethora of spring strengths out there. 12 pounds. 20 pounds? I have no idea, and could use some guidance.

The Springfield came with a full length guide rod that I disposed of for a more traditional recoil spring plug immediately.

Or maybe I just have to grease the rail religiously?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That 1911 should run flawlessly for hundreds of rounds between grease applications.

I do not hold myself out as an expert, but since you changed to a recoil spring plug, you may want to go with a heavier recoil spring.

Typically, 5" full-length guide rod equiped pistols come with the 18# spring.

First thing I would try is swithcing to a 20# spring.

Anonymous said...

A spring that is too heavy can have other problems like stove pipes because it doesn't cycle back far enough.

Anonymous said...

I don't know the age and condition of the gun but I'd be inclined to start with a new stock spring. They're cheap and it's certainly an easy swap.

I had to do the same with my ol' Hardballer. I think I got a Wilson spring, standard strength. It did the trick.

Tam said...

What mag?

How many rounds are you loading in the mag (I'm going to guess 8 rounds in the mag, and you're dropping it from slidelock with the slide stop rather than slingshotting it?)

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Sometime 8, sometime 7 or only 6. And I usually slingshot it. I only slingshot last range trip.

Tam said...

Hrm...

And it does that no matter how few rounds you put in the mag, but only when chambering the first one; it goes into battery normally while firing?


WV: "farculti". I hesitate to speculate.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Firing, yes, is enough to overcome any hesitation to chamber. Only the FIRST round in any magazine get's hung.

I'd be much more concerned if number 3 of 7 was also not chambering.