Wednesday, February 4, 2009

pre-range report: XD

I went to the range with a coupla work buddies. One just bought a gun and the other has been thinking about getting one for a while.

I should post a full range report in a day or two, maybe. It the usual. Better shooting than I did a year ago, but the same old flaws.

The buddy with a new pistol chose a full size Springfield XD. .45 caliber. He's happy. I'm not.

Why am I not happy? Because I shot a magazine through his and I shoot it VERY accurately. For me. Why is that a problem? I don't own one and it totally blows away my prejudices on 'the best pistol for me.' I don't WANT another pistol. But I shoot this brand so well that I can't ignore that...

It's not just that pistol. I've borrowed several peoples'. Usually full size .45's. I shoot them all consistently well, so it's not just one good gun. It's the brand. I hit the center without trying. Tuna can size groups.

What do I lack in my inventory? A sub-compact maybe? I don't own a tiny gun other than the Colt Pocket Hammerless. A sub-compact XD would take the place of the .380s on my Master List. I wonder if I'd shoot sub-compact as well as the full size? I'd have to try one before plopping down the cash for one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had the EXACT same thing happen to me.

Swapped my USP .45 for an XD .45, both full size, with a buddy at his private range.

We both shot better with *each other's* pistol.

Uhhhh.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's the grip style? Most .45s have an angle to the grip that makes for more matural pointing. At least mine did. Every shoot the Ruger 22-45 (I think thats the name)? It's a Ruger Mark II autoloader with a colt 45acp style grip.