Thursday, February 26, 2009

Next Range, March Trip

Dry firing is recommended, again, to help, but what do I concentrate on AT the range to improve my accuracy?

I will dryfire like crazy the night before, tho.

I have some ideas. One I won't do will be an old tip I picked up. The guy, back in the 40s, like to raise the pistol up in a line, firing when he passed over the bullseye. This, ostensibly, took care of any windage deviations, but I'd think I'd be more likely to jerk the trigger when I got close to the center. If I was good enough with the trigger to pull this trick off I wouldn't need the trick.

Another tip. Extend the pinky, like I was drinking high tea with the Duchess of Euroswallop-on-Thames. Later extend the thumb, like Fonzie. Both, on the shooting hand. Just to see. To see if I am getting some sympathetic pinching. I don't know if this is my problem, so if there is not a lot of difference I won't dwell on it. Note, the support hand will be there... uh. supporting, so one less finger gripping on the shooting hand won't impact my ability to control the firearm.

So, two non-starter things to not try or do much of? That's not a good strategy for a range session with my mind on improvement.

What I WILL do to help things is use the splatter targets for immediate results assessment. And I will go to target shoot, instead of my usual. But I've preached patience to myself in the past and not listened, so. Again, a reason to go with JUST one gun.

1 comment:

Jay G said...

I try to bring a .22 with me every time I go. This has three benefits:

1. It's cheap.
2. It extends the shooting session, as well as giving the centerfire gun time to cool down.
3. If you're flinching, switch over to .22LR until the flinch is gone.

Believe me, I feel your pain - I suffer much the same "accuracy deficiency" you've lamented.

Really, though? Unless you're willing to get to the range every other day and put thousands of rounds downrange every month, very few people achieve the "one ragged hole" target. Just IMHO and what I've observed at the range...