Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Single Action, February Range

So check this out.





The headshots are Single Action revolver shooting. The others are aiming at the chest bullseye with a Single Action 1911 style pistol.

Two conclusions struck me.

One: If the zombies come tomorrow, grab the revolver, not the 1911. Make those headshots. Well, 5 out of 6 headshots......

Two: WHY the difference?!

BOTH are single action…

Ok, the grip hold is different. But I shoot other more DA style semi-autos better, and other SA semi-auto as poorly. SIG’s come to mind for that.

Could it be the bigger boom of the .45 over the .38? I DO shoot the .380 1908 Colt better, and the same 1911 with a .22 conversion kit on it better… But I shoot the revolver just as well single action with .357 magnums loaded. And that is nothing if not a BIG boom.

Sigh. I really need to find a REAL shooting instructor. Target shooting style. The class I took was great but it was geared toward concealed carry. I need to find out once and for all what I am doing wrong and CORRECT that bad habit. And that’s what it is now, a bad habit.

6 comments:

Bunnyman said...

Ever tried Ball and Dummy?

Doing that obsessively for months will slowly perfect your trigger manipulation.

http://pistol-training.com/drills/ball-dummy-drill

If you don't have dummies, I've had my best experience with Action Trainer brand.

Sigboy said...

Two words, Dry Fire. Try it at home, make sure the weapon is clear, get a good sight picture, and squezze the trigger. Do it until you can keep your eyes open, and the sights don't move. After you get to that point, do it about 1000 more times.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I do need to dry fire more.

BUT...

Why do I need to dry fire on one gun, but the other gun is fine/better? It makes no sense that I flinch with one and not the other. Oh, sure, there is some flinch. I cop to that. If there wasn't the revolver hits would be even better. But why are pistols shots worse if you can't chalk the reason up to flinch?

GunGeek said...

Can you video yourself or have someone else film you shooting? Even if you can't spot the problem, you could probably find someone who's good at that sort of thing that would be willing to take a quick look at it.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

that's a thought, gun geek.

arrangements will have to be made at a shooting venue that will allow cameras, but I bet I can get one of those with My Buddy the Gun Enthusiast

Anonymous said...

http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/grp-analysis.pdf