Tuesday, February 24, 2009

PDW

Yet MORE carbine thoughts.

You never hear about combat troops, the ones that actually fight, not just lay down fire in support, ever seeking out lighter calibers AFTER they have combat experience. Even commando types that normally like and need the lighter handier types.


Still, there is a need and niche for a small compact weapon, not a pistol, and not as big as a rifle, that shoots an effective round.

THIS guy has done a lot of thought that parallels my own for carbine selection.

I like his thought process, but it doesn't match mine completely. He'd be happy enough with a tiny round like the FN 5.7 mm type used in their P-90. Kinda, but different.

It violated some of my requirements. I want a carbine that shoots a common cheapish, but effective, pistol caliber out of a longer barrel. Preferrable the same caliber that I already own. A new expensive bullet would not make me happy. And I obviously need a civilian legal version. No select fire.

If the M1 Carbine had come in .45 instead of it's own caliber I'd be as happy as a pig in poop. Reliable, handy, perfect. And perfectly non-existant.

9 comments:

Bunnyman said...

Marlin Camp Carbine?

Takes 1911 magazines, roughly M1 Carbine sized, .45 ACP. Not made anymore, but peeps love 'em to death.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Marlin makes the Camp Carbine again?

If used copies were as plentiful as surplus Enfields that'd be one thing.

Sigboy said...

Have you considered a 357 lever gun?

Jay G said...

Get an M1 carbine and an AutoMag in .30 carbine.

Problem. Solution.

You're welcome...

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Sig~ I have a .357 lever gun. I need a new version of the Camp Carbine.

JayG~ I LIKE that idea, but .30 carbine rounds are less common/available than .45 in the long run.

A higher quality Kel-Tec Sub2000 that takes P229 mags might might me happy.

I'm probably just gonna stop worrying and accept what I already have. Maybe Red-Dot scope the 1894C lever gun...

Anonymous said...

How about the Beretta CX4 Storm in .45 ACP? It comes in .40 or 9mm also.

Mags are interchangeable with the model 92, 96 etc...

Anonymous said...

Why pistol caliber? Remember, the MP-5 was super hot with police forces in the 80s, until they figured out that 9mm penetrates drywall with astonishing efficiency. High speed, small caliber, tumbling .556, not so much. Hence the movement over the last decade to SBR ARs in the LE/SWAT community.

Personally, I'm lusting after a Sig 556 SBR. I desperately want to pick up a 556 pistol and tuck it away until a tax stamp arrives.

Until then, my M-1 Carbine will work just fine.

lordjim said...

Semi auto PPsH? Good penetration, ammo easy to come by. Grab a Tok and you're good to go. Yeah it's an older weapon system but it's tried and true.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I like that and a Tommy-Gun/1911 thing, lordjim