Monday, March 8, 2010

DA Trigger Drill

Saw a link for some instructions on how to improve your DA trigger work.

The article goes on to talk about how Double Action can be the most difficult trigger type to master because of the force used and the long travel time that can pull your sights off target.

His suggestion, practice letting your knuckle and finger position slide on the trigger face.

Intriguing! I'll have to try that, dry fire. Be right back.

~~~

h/t Uncle

~~~

Ooo, and another good DA drill is one I remember Tam talking about not too long ago. I forget when. The idea is to build up your finger strength to make your control better. So, in your dry fire condition, (oh for GAWD's sake, be sure your revolver is unloaded...) with the double action hog leg you own with the strongest trigger spring, pull that trigger as quickly as you can for 50 repetitions, daily. It goes easy at first, but you fade near the end. This breaks in the trigger spring a bit, I'd imagine, and makes that finger and wrist pretty damn strong. I recommend it. Ooo, you may want to aim down the sights to see where that front sight bobs to, too. Try to hold your point of aim steady. I figure that can't hurt your shooting either.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Good drill, and you WILL see movement after about 25 pulls, and your aimpoint just goes to crap after about 40...

Davidwhitewolf said...

What worked for me with my J-frame 940 9mm was to stick a pencil in the barrel and dry-fire with the point of the pencil against the wall. I think I might have read it in an Ayoob book. Goal is to not write on the wall due to movement. Humbling at first but it's a heck of a drill. The muscle feel when successfully dry-firing while not moving the gun is very different from the muscle feel when you do it wrong.