Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Remember when I had my Epiphany?

I need to do that again.

It was less than a year ago.  19 March 2018.

My mantra, sneaking up on that was to mind three things.  To relax, to focus on the front sight, and to make the trigger go good. 

But it's really this last thing that is important.  When I have mastered that then it will just be the 'relax' part to truly master, but until my trigger pull is flawless...  And this might take more than a lifetime.

Damn Zen Bhuddists and their lifetime of practice.

I'd cut it down to just Relax and Trigger, but as soon as I do I bet I'll start inexplicably focusing on the target, so front Sight stays in there in the two spot.

Anyway.  The three things serve me well, but there is a fourth thing.  Maybe it needs to fold into 'relax' maybe it folds into 'good trigger.'  I gotta distract myself.  Get myself out of my own head.  When this is done it is MUCH easier to surprise myself.  On the 19th of last year it was embracing the wobble.  Since I was thinking about making the gun wobble, and seemingly having a horrible hold and sight picture, I was really only varying the hold on the target by an inch or three.  And that conscious varying kept me from anticipating the hammer fall and subsequent explosion.   I get good results. 

But I got used to that distraction.  Have to think of another one every other range session.  Pin the trigger?  Ok.  Sing a song?  Awright. 

You see?

No comments: