Sunday, January 13, 2019

Trigger pull

We all know we when do it.  What a good trigger pull feels like.

I'm not talking a bad "Make gun go boomNOW!" just when the sights line up.  That's how I have flinches and jerks and recoil anticipations and bad shots. And I bet some of you do to.

The proverbial surprise break.  I go "Ok... draw it back easy... easy... steady...  easy... let it happen..." Bang!  And when I do that the shot is decent if slow.  And a 4 pound trigger can feel like 40.  One of the big pluses of dry fire.  If you are experiencing fake 40 pound pulls on your 1911, dry fire some.  That weight is me worried about recoil and explosions and such.  Dry fire I know it won't explode and I feel what the trigger pull really feels like

There is a second type of surprise break.  It's faster.  I've been here before.  "Simple draw the trigger back smooth without that 'NOW' bit."

Maybe that second one is what a 'compressed surprise break' is that Cooper talked about.  I dunno unless someone confirms.  Maybe.  It works for me.  When I am in that groove I like the results.  The trick is to get in that groove more and consistently.

It's a head game.  One I really want to win.  And I am a slow learner.

I was thinking on this the last time I was at the range...

1 comment:

Windy Wilson said...

That groove, that place you experience, is what has been called, "The Rifleman's Bubble."