Monday, September 3, 2007

Job Search

Well, I like my job, and the people I work with, but I am sub-contracting out to that company from my home company. My home company got bought up by some private equity hoo-hah, and now the new management decided that almost no one gets a raise. Fine. That's their perogative, but from my perspective that business model is a little 'off.'

You see, in the computer solutions contracting biz, the 11th Commandment is "Thou Shalt be Billable..." I am. 100%. I work 40 hours a week (I have to get special permission from high up in the prime contractor hierarchy in order to bill overtime.) and all 40 is money for my home company. I, and people like me, pay the bills for rent at the home office, the salaries of management, the receptionists salary, the sewer bill... And if I leave, the spot on the contract sit on doesn't 'belong' to my home company; chances are someone else will get that money when they fill that spot, so home company is SOL (sure outta luck.) And all because my home company didn't want to give me 1 dollar an hour from the 3 dollar increase the contract gave them this year. So, trying to keep 1 dollar means they lose about $100 an hour. For 40 hours a week. Until 2011. Or approximately $800,000. Well good luck to them. I don't understand their reasoning, but then again I am not a CEO type.

And I work with lots of other sub contractors, all from many different companies, and all of whom get a bounty if THEIR home company hires me. So my co-workers are selling benefits packages to me, trying to get me to submit my resume to them. I am. I have even gotten a few nibbles since Thursday.

Wish me luck.

Oh, and the reason for this is the whole List I want to get stuff on. There is a gun show coming up in the fall and I'd like to have some folding, walking-around money.


No comments: