Friday, March 7, 2014

New MD Law

So, it's an election year, and, even in Democrat dominated Maryland, gun bill are controversial.  There is little chance of any laws passing, either way, fer us or agin us.

But there is an interesting one being contemplated.

There is a computer database where all the guns Maryland considers BAD-bad are on a registry.  Pistols and ARs and such. 

There is a computer database maintained by the state of people that are prohibitted from owning guns.  Our own state version of NICS.

The databases can't talk to each other.  So there is no way to compare the two.  A law is proposed to make those db's compatible, and it will cost $300,000 to do so. 

I don't know what I think of that.  I am reflexively anti-new-restrictions, of course, but is that law really something to get my man-panties in a wad over?  I think not.  The existence of the registry is bad, and I oppose that, but if you are going to have a registry it'd be nice to know that some newly minted felon that bought a Glock years ago before turning to a life of crime...  Well you might want to investigate the current status of that Glock.  Enforcing the laws that are on the books.

Of course, if this does go through, I imagine they will be able to determine who is a felon with a registered pistol and then proceed... to do nothing about it.  It is the way of this state.

No comments: