Monday, August 25, 2008

August Range Report 2

The plan was, I shoot Chuckles gun for a box, he shoots mine for a box. He wanted some trigger time to be sure he actually wanted a 1911 on his Wish List for future acquistion. I wanted to see what the SIG 229 SAS did for me.

And this is what I shot with the SIG:

See? Good shooting, for me, but the same problems I have with semi-auto pistols. I also got to try the 2 stage parts of the SIG DAK trigger, You don’t have to release the trigger all the way to pull it again. There is a little click as you return the trigger forward and you can pull at that point and the gun goes bang. I guess you can get follow-up rounds off faster and downrange thata way.
A fun gun, still.

And here is Chuckles shooting my 1911:


That big hole in the center is the first 2 mags gouging out a hole. The four ‘flyers’ near the center are his last mag when he was trying to go for speed. His carefully aimed shots are pretty fast, all by themselves, though. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. He's pretty good, huh? After shooting a box, Chuckles definitely needs a 1911. And we demonstrably proved that my particular gun shoots just fine, thank you, and the only limitation on it is my shooting ability.

I also shot a neighbors gun. S&W model 10 .38 Special. My very first shot is the one in the bullseye. Why does that happen? Quit a few of my “first shots” are perfect ones, when I take a gun out cold. Sort of a repetitive beginners luck. It takes follow-up shots to demonstrate my ineptitude. The close in stuff is single action, the scattered stuff is DA, mostly. The head shots are all SA:


Then I shot my 1911, just to see. I was warmed up and tired. But it gave me hope. I tried to concentrate most of surprising myself with the trigger break. The really good surprises are the ones in the bulls. The pace still seemed fast. Not bad for tired and rushed though. As good as the SIG maybe? Yes, maybe. Better than in the past? Yes, there might be a hint of improvement:


This one is just free-shoot with the 1911 .45:


Hmm… Late in the shooting session. The flaw is just down. The Trouble Shooter says this is Wrist Breaking. That’s kinda new. Or at least new to me for recognizing. So add Wrist Break to Trigger Jerk and Flinching, but it is the same sort of problem.

1 comment:

breda said...

Good targets - you're certainly improving!

But I think you might be using too much finger on the trigger. (for where the shots go off to the right) Slow down and use only your fingertip on the trigger. This will help you squeeze straight back instead of yanking it.