Sunday, August 31, 2008

Rifle Range, August

In case you haven't guessed. I purchased an M1A. I got it on the same day Obama was nominated. It's a Fulton. Service rifle. I popped for the National Match trigger, but that's it. Just your basic semi-automatic M-14. Chrome lined barrel.




And yesterday, I took it shooting. Hap Baker range.
I am very pleased.

First I had to zero it. I eventually chose 12 clicks up for elevation. It shoots a few inches high at 100 yards, but the idea is it will be spot on at 200 or 250 yards. A little low at 300. Good for center-mass shots unless your groups are tight. If they are tight you can compensate at figure out where the shots will fall on zombie heads based on guessing the range. If you are set to shoot a bit high at 100 yards, aim for the throat. Aim at the zombie's head at 200. Aim at his hat at 300. Easy peasy.

Zeroing the rifle for windage was a bit of a sticky wicket. I forgot the principles behind windage. The rifle was shooting right and I was turning the windage adjustment the wrong way. You have to move the rear sight in the direction you want the shots to move. If you are shooting at the bull and hitting the 3 on the clock, you need to move the rear sight to the left. Brain fart on that one, I moved it to the right until I realized my mistake.

For those readers that haven't been to a rifle range, the black dot on the paper target 100 yards away is teeny weeny! The fore-sight blade on a M1A is pretty thin. Thinner than the Garand. Even then, the dot on the target isn't half as wide as the blade. There is no way to know if you are on target, as you can't see the holes. It's even hard with a spotting scope. But once zeroed at 25, where I can see, and at 50, where I can see with a spotting scope, I fired away at 100, trusting in my skill. For those that know my skill, that was a leap of faith.

But here is where I was shooting. The small marks are from a ceasefire inspection when there was only 5 holes. (you can barely see the marks. one is the one in the 8 ring at 4 o'clock.) The rest are when that ceasefire ended:




The pattern is only 4 inches in diameter. That a 2 MOA rifle. Except it's not. Those shots were from me, not set up on a sled or on sandbags. Just me and a military style leather sling. So I am the limiting factor. The rifle has to be better than me.

To stress, I can barely SEE that black circle. And if I had adjusted the elevation 3 or 4 clicks down, nearly all those holes would be IN the black. 9 ring. With a bunch in the 10 ring. Respectable for a n00b. And you all already know, I don't shoot slow and careful. One shot every 5 seconds, maybe. Maybe faster.

If you are a zombie, wandering toward me, I can hit your head at 200 yard. I can hit your head at 50, easily. I can hit inside a 12 inch diameter circle at 300 (but probably need some clicks up to do so, maybe 8-10.) You are a dead undead monstrosity, and you won't be eating my brains. Your shamblor friends won't be eating my brains if I see a group of you 200 yards away. The only way I have trouble is if you are the type of zombie that dodges and doesn't wanna be shot. Gotta work on that.

For me, this is excellent performance from a rifle. Now I just have to work on 'me.' If I want to get most all 20 in the 10 ring. And I do want that.

THIS is a good rifle. Did I say I was pleased?

Oh, and gun show bargain $12 M1A magazines are NOT a bargain. Pop for the good stuff. Luckily, I had some good stuff. The mags I have with no mark are worthless. The spring isn't strong enough. The mags marked 'W' or 'BRW S-1' worked fine with only one failure to feed. The ones marked with nothing should have been marked with a 'C' for 'Chinese' or 'Crap'.

Other lessons learned: Bring water to the range. It was mid-80s and no wind. Humid. I was shaky near the end. Part of that was dehydration. Also, bring a plastic bag for the spent brass. And go earlier. I had to wait an hour and a half for a lane. EVERYBODY was there zeroing their hunting rifles.

120 .7.62x51 rounds shot, today. 60 .22 LR shot out of the Taurus model 62 pump action. Fun, fun, fun.

Oh, and I don't have to wear a hat with this rifle. The brass doesn't shoot at my temple. It goes forward or at least straight right. Good. I hate those little circular burn marks on my temple. It impacts my success with the ladies. Hello, Ladies...

No comments: