Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Cooper and Triggers

I truly do not understand what Jeff Cooper wrote. When he says "I have been shooting for a very long time, in training, competition, and recreation, and I have come to the conclusion that trigger control is the heart of the matter. It may be that I am too particular about good trigger action, but I do think it is the most important single aspect of hitting what you shoot at."

I nod my head and say, "Yes, sir." But I don't think I KNOW what a good trigger is or what good trigger control is. It's just beyond my experience. It's like knowing what a fast car is because I have driven GTOs or Porsches at near autobahn speeds. And then having a discussion with a Indy car driver like I know what I am talking about, like I can appreciate a fast car. I have an idea, but my vision is cloudy. I don't see crisp and clear and sharp like someone like Cooper did. I only 'sorta know.'

I hope to know that someday. Sooner rather than later, but it is not something you can rush. I need more 'do', less 'think about'.

2 comments:

Home on the Range said...

Trigger control is fine and dandy, but for long range shooting, it's the Zen of breath and timed heartbeat.

Quigley said...

Brigid is correct and if you want to know what a good trigger group is (off the shelf and already installed) get a Rock River Arms AR-15 (many variations). Their National Match trigger is something else. Other weapons and their "lawyer proof" triggers (e.g., any Remington off the rack) usually require plenty of adjustment or tuning or outright replacing to be any good. Another one to consider for a great off the shelf trigger group in a bolt gun is a Savage Arms rifle with the AccuTrigger. As for pistols I have not met one yet that didn't need at least somewhat of a trigger job. The expensive customs come with nice ones but the off the shelf crowd needs fiddling to get it right. Sometimes lots of fiddling. Once you start shooting the nice trigger groups you will never go back.