Saturday, August 23, 2008

Sig Mulls

I said I had to mull it over. The idea of acquiring the very excellent-for-me SIG 229 SAS.

Word on the street says SIG is the Mercedes to Glock’s Chevy. A bit heavier, naturally. And the SIG has a reputation of needing to be given more TLC than the Glock.

SIG plusses over the Glock or any other model, including SIG versions, for me: DAMN I shot that SIG better than anything I’ve tried. Fit my hand better. And I like metal.

I asked my gun dealer to name a comparable model. You know. A nice .40 with a trigger as sweet as the SIG. So I can shop around. He said, “How do you get sweeter than a SIG?”

And he’s not a SIG guy.

Yeah.

The plan forward…

Get training. Basic Pistol NRA and then work up from there. Ask the instructor on what to take next to improve my accuracy. Get it so my 1911 shooting is much better. This whole quandry about a SIG is near moot if I shoot the venerable 1911 as well as the 229.

Try more pistols. Seriously try. Not just a magazine shot through them, but at least a box of 50. With Corky and Chuckles, hand them my 1911 and .357, and borrow their 229 and XD45. With MBtGE, get my hands on his Commander sized 1911, and his 2 glocks. Maybe his .40 Berretta, too. My abilities with that .40, years ago, compared to Chuckles’ .40 last week were night and day. I’ve never shot as bad as I did with that Berretta. Maybe I am better now and should try it again. Maybe I’m better at a lot of them now.

Keep my credit card in my pocket. When it comes to superfluous pistols. Rifle is next. I won’t even be ready for BAG day next April, the wallet will take such a hit.

I never really thought too seriously about a .40. At least for a long while. It runs counter to my “limit my calibers for ease of ammunition inventory,” and the .40 doesn’t fit in with that system in place. That doesn’t mean it can’t change. The Sig 229 SAS isn’t perfect. Assuming it’s as reliable as a 1911, it’s still a bit on the big size. The smaller caliber, but big enough, is its strength to me. That and the accuracy I can shoot it, naturally.

Or I can just say “scroo it all” and carry a snubby revolver, when I carry. I shot that DA revolver pretty well last week, too… Saves me the headaches of introducing a new caliber to the mix. THAT’s a solution. The trick is finding a snubby I like as much as the SIG, and that might be the problem.


Oooo, another thought hit me… SIG 229 chamber in .357 sig…

No comments: