Sunday, August 24, 2008

More Sig Mulls

With some 1911mull thrown in. It’s all the fashion.


I’m still thinking on why I shoot some pistols better than others, and why I don’t shoot the 1911 as well as others.

I mean, my flaws are the same. I’ll flinch and jerk with a .357 and a .40 and a XD .45 as much as I’d flinch and jerk with a 1911-A1 .45. Same flinch. Same jerk. Same inaccuracies? No. I shoot lousy with the 1911. Lousier.

I’m coming around to the conclusion that the 1911 is an Advanced-level gun. The others are Beginner, or Intermediate level.

I shoot better with the SIG P229 SAS because it is designed (especially that trigger) with a n00b in mind. With a couple more years of range practice I would hope to be as accurate with the 1911 as I am with the SIG. Let’s assume that prediction is true. And let’s assume I have a 1911 I have grown into and I went ahead and got a SIG a couple years before. Is the SIG superfluous? Something I never should have spent the money on? Money better spent getting better with what I have? Perhaps. But the SIG does have a place, in all but a few life-situations. It’s smaller and lighter. It’s a .40. It’s a easier conceal carry piece for these reasons, and its been dehorned. [Thought SIG makes SAS dehorned Double Action Only in other calibers, including .45ACP like the P220 SAS, and also compact versions like the P239 SAS. So I have THAT to think about too. The compact version looks TOO small...]

It would have a place in the gun safe except for the extreme circumstance, “Only select to keep the guns you can carry on foot, we are leaving now to stay ahead of the Zombie Horde.” In that case a rifle and pistol are probably it. And the pistol would be the 1911. Assuming this zombocalypse was 2 years from now, and I did get better with the 1911.

Sadly, if I had a SIG today and the Zombie Horde was a few miles away and approaching, I’d take it and not the 1911. And for this I feel great shame…

And that also means, if the Zombies come tomorrow, I am not ready. I’d be better taking the revolver today. Revolver and Garand. Or soon, revolver and M1A. I better find a better revolver holster, in any case. And get some instruction all around. Gottdem Zombies aren’t gonna shoot themselves.

~sigh~

But it’s good to reflect on and know your own limitations. And right now my 1911 skill is my worst shooting liability.

WWTD?

Do I like my 1911? Yes, very much so! Does it work well? Yes, indeed. The only thing wrong with it is the shooter. Is that something I can correct? I hope so. Do I still want the SIG 229 SAS? YES! I’d want it even if I was better with the 1911, I think. It is budget constraints and life simplification is what keeps me from getting one today. Do I worship the 1911? Outwardly, yes, but mainly to be ironic and entertaining in ridiculous fake-fanboi fashion. At least SIGs are metal. Will I take my own advice and go with a pistol I like and shoot well and get a 229? Probably in the future when the gun budget recovers. Dang. It sounds so logical but just feels so wrong.

Update: since composing the above I went to the range and shot a whole box out of the SIG. Phew, thank JMB, (pbuh… he works in mysterious ways), I shoot good with it, but it is no miracle gun for the T-Bolt. I exhibit the same shooting flaws with it as I do with the 1911, when I have a bigger sample to look at instead of a few rounds. So the gun’s appeal is that it is more compact, de-horned, well made, and simple to operate and has a high capacity magazine. It no longer has the appeal of “It’s MAGIC! And I can shoot all the bad guys in the eye unfailingly with it.” Which is a good thing, really, especially for the gun budget. I need to change me, not my gun. I knew that already, deep in my bones, but it’s still hard to admit.

Range report tomorrow.

No comments: